Thursday, June 12, 2008

Denver to Glenwood Springs: still in Colorado



I'm sitting at my desk in my jacuzzi suite in Glenwood Springs typing this on Thursday June 12. I got a free upgrade! Oh my God I love this room so much and don't wanna leave. The bed is GIGANTIC with fourteen million pillows and I haven't used the jacuzzi yet but I think I'm gonna have to, no? The above pic is the view from my hotel. That is the Colorado River and there is also (don't know if you can see it) an Amtrak train track there too. Can you imagine taking the train along the Colorado River and all thru that area???

Allright, let's go back a moment. Yesterday I left Denver and drove up Mount Evans...all the way to the summit: 14,000 feet! It was quite scary at times, I must say, because there is no guard rail and the road is NARROW. This is the highest paved road in North America. It was originally planned so that there could be an expressway that joined the two peaks of two mountains! Evans being one of them. This idea was scrapped as well...hello: it's CRAZY. I love that this was their idea though. I freaking expressway 14,000 feet in the air??? But thanks to their crazy idea and their folly we now can drive up Evans and see mountain goats and golden belled marmots and big horn sheep! OK, so I just saw the marmots. Oh and a beautiful deer. I think it was a deer...but it was kinda furrier and it's horns were kinda thick. So maybe it was a higher elevation, furrier deer? Yep, I'm sure that's the official name.

This is what it looked like where I was on Mount Evans (The Rockies!!!):




Anyway, driving up Evans was fun and then I got back on the I-70 and head west towards Glenwood Springs. I will admit, dear reader that I was spent. Maybe it's the higher altitude and maybe it's the fact that I've been go go go...but I needed a break. So Even though I only drove 200 miles yesterday i stopped here, went to the mineral hot springs, near the Colorado River, next to a mountain and soaked my bones before getting all snuggly in my upgraded jacuzzi suite! Two things: one, my mother, kind lady, treated me to this hotel room tonight so I could truly relax in this last stretch homeward. Motels are fine but they wear on you eventually. This place is NICE and I feel so good here! Thanks to Mum! Two: I had the most incredible mexican food last night and a kick ass margarita to boot! I got SO FREAKING LOADED from one marg it was hilarious! I keep forgetting about the elevation thing! I was seriously drunk and thank god my hotel was a block away. Flank steak tacos rancheros with rice, beans, guacamole, homemade chopped salsa...YUM. Oh ya, and that awesome white mexican crumbly cheese: dee-lish.

OK so that's it. I'm in this awesome hotel right on the Colorado River and I have to leave soon (Noooooo!) for Utah where I'm planning on doing some hiking and then I may just be stopping in Vegas before heading home.

I can't believe I'm almost there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home