Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Road Trip America - Day 1


Hello There!

I have now been awake for 17 hours. I am hanging on by a thread...eye sight is blurry, typing impaired...but I am happy as Gordon Ramsey in Backwards Land. Huh? OK, that was lame. Admission: hell's kitchen is playing on the tv in my motel room.

Let me start from the beginning. I woe up at 4 am today...much to my chagrin. My alarm was set for 4:30 am but I woke up at 4:00 am and was SO excited, nervous, anxious, wired...that I simply could not go back to sleep but also could not got up. I lied there for almost a half hour and my stomach just ached with nerves.

I finally got up, got my crap all organized and was in the car, taking off at 5:30 am...the first thing that rocked on this journey were all these wind thingies...don't even know where that was...but see pic...it was very cool and eerie. It was like I was in some weird futuristic movie...you know where alternative energy is the norm and everyone plugs their cars in at night.

I tried to take a pic while driving...let's see how it turns out.



Ya, that was dangerous. I maybe shouldn't do that anymore.

Oh, I guess I should tell you WHY I am driving across America all the way to Toronto...going to do a workshop of my play, them & us. I'm really really excited and amazed and overwhelmed about the whole thing and I want to tell you more but it's 9:07 pm and I am barely awake...so more on the workshop later.

I will say this about the rest of my day today: Joshua Tree National Park (my first visit) was (as expected) beautiful and so much fun. All those lizards and rocks! YAY!!

But nothing, not even the majesty of JT (joshua tree, not justin timberlake), holds a candle to the drive up I-17 in Arizona. This was one of the most incredible, gorgeous drives I have ever made. At one point, I couldn't stop saying "So, gorgeous, Oh my god, its' so beautiful!" and yes, I even got a little choked up.

Nope, don't have pics of that. It was a very intense drive and it went from 86 degrees to 55 degrees very fast...and it started pouring rain too.

This was the highlight of my day today...and now I am off to bed, dear readers. I'm at The View Motel in Cottonwood, Arizona. What a great sign!



Favourite quote from today: in Joshua Tree I kept saying hello to every lizard that came across my path (which was alot). I'd say "Hello, Lizard!" and "Hello, Lizard!" and "Hello, Lizard!" and at one point I said to a lizard, "Gee, I hope you don't mind me calling you all the same thing. I don't want to give the impression that I think you all look alike. You're very distinct, I promise you"

MPG for Day 1: 43

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home