Saturday, May 10, 2008

Road Trip America! Day 3 - Santa Fe, NM

Wow! I haven't had internet access for two days and so I must catch up on my travel blogging. Day 3 I exited my Wig Wam a new woman and hit the road at 7 am...Drove from Holbrook, AZ to Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I stayed at the great Sage Inn. I was super lucky to get a deal thru Priceline.com and got this fabulous room for $58 all inclusive! It even included a deluxe continental breakfast the next morning.

I checked in to my awesome hotel room and put my walking shoes on and head down to the Plaza. My first stop on the way to the Plaza was the oldest church in America (apparently), San Miguels. It was one whole dollar to go in and look around. There was alot of Christ action in that place! And after I saw this 16th century painted Buffalo hide depicting the Passion of the Christ and read that this was one of the tools used to try and get the Native Americans to convert...my interest for the oldest church in America waned and I moved on.



I had read about a great chocolate boutique in the Plaza and promptly dropped in and spent WAY too much money for what I got. I mean it was good...but come on $3 to $4 for one little chocolate! I will say that the sea salt toffee in dark chocolate and the raspberry caramel dark chocolate were almost worth what I paid for them. Oh this place was called Todos Santos Chocolates...for any of you who may be in SFNM in the near future and who have an unlimited chocolate budget.

So I walked around the Plaza, looked at the native American jewelry, unsuccessfully tried to find a Mother's Day present, looked in a few galleries...and then it was time to eat. I went to the famous Coyote Cafe, but I dined in the much less expensive rooftop Cantina part of the restaurant. I had the mole chicken tacos and a wonderful margarita. Everything was top notch. I befriended my waitress, Francesca, rather quickly and after gabbing on and on she invited me to go out for a drink with her and her co-worker after they finished their shift.

I was hoping to make a stop at the renowned Cowgirl Hall of Fame for drinks and she said that's where we'd go. So I went back to the Sage to blog and rest up and then we met up at the Cowgirl later that night. As was reported, the margaritas ARE that good there. The vibe f the place is also great because all the Santa Fe weirdos hang out there. The band that played that night was kick ass too...I really enjoyed myself and then at 11:30 pm promptly began to fall asleep like an old lady and had to bid my new friends good nite.

I have to confess, the best thing about Santa Fe, in the context of everything thus far, was that I enjoyed the most heavenly, quiet and comfy night's of sleep in a long time. This bed was one of the best I've ever slept in...and there was no one staying in any of the adjacent rooms...I felt like a queen and slept like a rock. I seriously did not move.


AWESOME SAGE INN, SANTA FE, NM

Before i went to bed, I turned on the TV and crawled in (because you can do that in hotels...you can watch TV in bed and then turn everything off without even leaving the bed! It's really COOL!!) and even though I was almost unconscious with fatigue, I got a sudden burst of energy when I discovered the movie HEAVEN was on TV. You probably haven't seen HEAVEN since no one really did. But i did. I saw it years and years ago at the Toronto Film Festival and it stars Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi and it's directed by the dude who did RUN LOLA RUN...and I remember watching that film all those years ago and during the first two thirds thinking, I don't know about this...I don't know if I dig this...and then in the last third I was like SOLD! and so when I turned on the TV that night in Santa Fe, I dismissed all my exhaustion in favour of re-watching this film that I really really like (and alot of people DO NOT...so if you're one of those people...oh well)

That's about it for Santa Fe. Oh, one last thing. I was in this photography gallery, the Monroe and I saw this limited print of an Alfred Eisenstaedt photo called Three Frames of Children at a Puppet Theatre. And I want it. I want it bad. Many people have seen this picture, though I think more people have seen the single frame version. Go online and see if you can find the three frame one and see what you think. I think this will be in my home one day and every time I look at it I will think about the year i drove across American to workshop my first play and how happy I was.

much love, y'all.

MPG for today = 48 (!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home