Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Michael Winterbottom

Michael Winterbottom is one of my favourite filmmakers. His latest flick is TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY...really funny, smart and starring my new boyfriend Steve Coogan (Don't tell my other boyfriends Joachin Phoenix and Phil Hoffman).
I don't think I dislike any Winterbottom movie. His films are wildly different from one another which I love. I think I first realized I loved his films when I saw WONDERLAND (2000). I was just so affected by this movie! I sat in the theatre and cried and cried as the credits rolled and well after. I really really love that movie and think you should go and rent it right now. Who's in it? What's it about? Well, it's about three sisters and what they're going through at this particular moment. The sisters are played by Shirley Henderson (LOVE her), Gina McKee and lovely Canadian Molly Parker. See it and don't ask why!
Another of his greatest films is the incredible IN THIS WORLD (2003). This is docu drama at it's very best. A moving, meditative yet intense journey of two young Afghan refugees as they attempt to make it to the UK for a better life, IN THIS WORLD is a movie that is based on the actual experiences of the two boys in the film. Winterbottom traveled with this boys, following the trail that their traffickers organized for them...guerrilla film making, few permissions to film, all the while managing to communicate a deeply emotional story often without dialogue of any kind. I just adore this movie and think everyone should see it. I watched the movie, wanting these two Afghan boys to make it to the UK, wanting them to have the best life they could have, of course, but every step of the way was so dangerous and so harrowing...but they hardly flinched at what I found terrifying. I was so moved and upset that these young men had experienced so much at such a young age that these conditions seemed so normal to them. Gosh, it's a good film!

I thought to write this entry today because I finally got to see the early Winterbottom film, JUDE (1996) starring the stunning Christopher Eccleston and the phenomenal 20 year old Kate Winslet! (There is just no argument that that woman is an ACTOR...one cannot help but lament the fact that she dropped out of Woody Allen's MATCH POINT, leaving the role to non-actor Scarlett Johannsen)
JUDE is fabulous, lush and yes: moving. It is based on the Thomas Hardy novel, Jude The Obscure. Kate and Chris play cousins, married to others, but passionately in love with one another. Separated from their spouses, they begin a life together, have children together but remain unmarried. Did I mention this is 1890s England? Oh my goodness, it is such a good story and these two actors are really something to watch together. It is hard to believe that Kate Winslet is all of 20 years old, her acting is so effortless, so raw and full of joy and edge. She is truly an artist and she deserves to be the youngest actor to have four Oscar nominations under her belt! I love that Chris Eccleston was 30 and Kate was 20 when they made this...she matched him toe to toe! No other actress I can think of would have pulled off this performance at 20 years of age. Totally worth a rent!

Another fabulous and addictive Winterbottom movie is 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE. I am not a follower or fan of the Manchester music scene of the late 70s to early 90s...but that just doesn't matter when you've got a brilliant filmmaker and leading man (Steve Coogan) pulling the strings. This was one of Winterbottom's most popular films I think considering when I mention his name to friends and people in kitchens at parties, it is this movie that they recognize. Great cast, great story, great energy and Steve Coogan really makes the whole thing really enjoyable and intoxicating.
So for the record, Michael Winterbottom is a great talent and you should go and rent all the movies I've mentioned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home